- Brown, K.J. (in press). Placing and pacing beginning readers in text. In E.H. Hiebert & M. Sailors (Eds.), Finding the right texts for beginning and struggling readers. New York: Guilford Press.
- Brown, K.J., Morris, D., & Fields, M.K. (2005) Intervention after grade 1: Serving increased numbers of struggling readers effectively. Journal of Literacy Research, 37, 61-94.
- Brown K.J. (2003). What do I say when they get stuck on a word? Aligning prompts with students’ development during guided reading. The Reading Teacher, 56(8), 720-733.
- Brown, K.J. (1999/2000). What kind of text for whom, when? Textual scaffolding for beginning readers. The Reading Teacher, 53, 292-307.
- Cook, A. E., Zheng, R., & Blaz, J. W. (In press). Measurement of Cognitive Load During Multimedia Learning Activities. In R. Zheng (Ed.). Cognitive Effects on Multimedia Learning. Hershey, PA: IGI Global Publishing Co.
- Cook, A. E., Guéraud, S., Was, C. A., & O'Brien, E. J. (2007). Foregrounding effects during reading, revisited. Discourse Processes, 44, 91-112.
- Speer, L. L., Cook, A. E., McMahon, W. M., & Clark, E. (2007). Face processing in children with autism: Effects of stimulus contents and type. Autism, 11, 265-277.
- Frazier, L., Carminati, M. N., Cook, A. E., Majewski, H., & Rayner, K. (2006). Semantic evaluation of syntactic structure: Evidence from eye movements. Cognition, 99, 53-62.
- Rayner, K., Cook, A. E., Juhasz, B. J., & Frazier, L. (2006). Immediate disambiguation of lexically ambiguous words during reading: Evidence from eye movements. British Journal of Psychology, 97, 467-482.
- Cook, A. E., & Guéraud, S. (2005). What have we been missing? The role of general world knowledge in discourse processing. Discourse Processes, 39, 365-378.
- Cook, A. E., Myers, J. L., & O'Brien, E. J. (2005). Processing an anaphor when there is no antecedent. Discourse Processes, 39,101-120.
- Cook, A. E., & Myers, J. L. (2004). Processing discourse roles in scripted narratives: The influences of context and world knowledge. Journal of Memory and Language, 50, 268-288.
- O'Brien, E. J., Cook, A. E., & Peracchi, K. A. (2004). Updating situation models: A reply to Zwaan and Madden. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Learning, Memory, and Cognition, 30, 289-291.
- Cook, A. E. (2001). Basic processes in reading and rauding. [Review of the book The causes of high and low reading achievement]. Contemporary Psychology: APA Review of Books, 46, 618-619.
- Cook, A. E., Limber, J. E., & O'Brien, E. J. (2001). Situation-based context and the availability of predictive inferences. Journal of Memory and Language, 44, 220-234.
- O'Brien, E. J., Cook, A. E., & Derepentigny, K. A. (2001). The psychology of knowledge activation in text comprehension and problem solving. In W. Kintsch (Ed.) The International Encyclopedia of the Social and Behavioral Sciences, (vol.12, pp. 8114-8117). Pergamon, Oxford.
- Myers, J. L., Cook, A. E., Kambe, G., Mason, R. A., & O'Brien, E. J. (2000). Semantic and episodic effects on bridging inferences. Discourse Processes, 29, 179-199.
- Cook, A. E., Halleran, J. G., & O'Brien, E. J. (1998). What is readily available during reading? A memory-based text processing view. Discourse Processes, 26, 109-129.
- Dole, J., Liang, L., Watkins, N., Wiggins, C. M. (2006). The state of reading professionals in the United States. The Reading Teacher, 60(2), 194-199.
- Al’ Otaiba, S., Hosp. J. L., Smartt, S., & Dole, J.A. (2008). The Challenging Role of a Reading Coach, a Cautionary Tale. Journal of Educational and Psychological Consultation, 18(2), 124-155.
- Nokes, J., Dole, J., Hacker, D. J. (2007). Teaching high schoolstudents to be critical and strategic readers of historical texts. Journal of Educational Psychology, 99, 492-504.
- Liang, L.A. & Dole, J.A. (2006). Help with teaching reading comprehension: Comprehension instructional frameworks. The Reading Teacher, 59(8), 742-753.
- Liang, L. A., Sudbury, S., & Dole, J. A. (2005). Strategies for struggling readers in the middle grades. The Utah Special Educator, 25, 8-11.
- Dole, J. A. (2004). The changing role of the reading specialist in low-performing schools. The Reading Teacher, 57, 462-471. Also published in International Reading Association. (2004). Preparing Reading Professionals: A Collection from the International Reading Association. Newark, DE: International Reading Association.
- Dole, J. A. (2003). Professional development. In A. P. Sweet & C. Snow (Eds.), Rethinking reading comprehension (pp.176-191). New York: Guilford.
- Dole, J. A., & Osborn, J. (2003a). Elementary language arts textbooks: A decade of change. In J. Flood, D. Lapp, & J. R. Squire (Eds.), Handbook for research on teaching the English language arts (pp. 631-639). NY: Macmillian.
- Dole, J. A., & Osborn, J. (2003b). Professional development for K-3 teachers: Content and Process. Laboratory for Student Success, 2 (4), 8, 23-24.
- Dole, J. A. (2002a.). Comprehension strategies. In B. Guzzetti (Ed.), Literacy in America: An encyclopedia, Volume I (pp. 85-88). New York: ABC-CLIO.
- Dole, J. A. (2002b.). Prior knowledge and misconceptions. In B. Guzzetti (Ed.), Literacy in America: An encyclopedia, Volume II (pp. 453-456). New York: ABC-CLIO.
- Dole, J. A. (2000a). Explicit and implicit instruction in comprehension. In B. M. Taylor, P. van den Brock, & M. Graves (Eds.), Reading for meaning: Fostering comprehension in the middle grades (pp. 52-69). New York: Teachers College Press.
- Dole, J. A. (2000b). Comprehension strategies: Helping students understand content area textbooks better. Thinking Classroom, 1, 19-22.
- Dole, J. A. (2000c). Readers, texts and conceptual change strategies. Reading and Writing Quarterly, 16, 99-118.
- Dole, J. A. (2000d). What will be the demands of literacy in the workplace in the next millennium? Reading Research Quarterly, 35, 382-383.
- Hacker, D. J., Bol, L., Bahbahani, K. (in press). Explaining calibration in classroom contexts: The effects of incentives, reflection, and attributional style. Metacognition and Learning.
- Hacker, D. J., Bol, L., & Keener, M. C. (in press). Metacognition ineducation: A focus on calibration. In J. Dunlosky, & R. Bjork (Eds.),Handbook of Memory and Metacognition. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence ErlbaumAssociates.
- Hacker, D. J., & Graesser, A. C. (2007). The role of dialogue in reciprocal teaching and naturalistic tutoring. In R. Horowitz (Ed.), Talking Texts: How speech and writing interact in school learning (pp. 253-270). Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Bol, L., Hacker, D. J., O'Shea, P., & Allen, D. (2005). The influence of overt practice, achievement level, and explanatory style on calibration accuracy and performance. Journal of Experimental Education, 73, 269-290.
- Hacker, D. J., & Dunlosky, J. (2003). Not all metacognition is Created equal. Problem-based learning for the information age. New Directions for Teaching and Learning, 95, 73-80.
- Nokes, J., Dole, J., Hacker, D. J. (2007). Teaching high school students to be critical and strategic readers of historical texts. Journal of Educational Psychology, 99, 492-504.
Liang, L.A. (in press). Scaffolding middle school students’ comprehension and response to short stories. Research in Middle Level Education Online, 34(8).
Liang, L.A., *Watkins, N.M., Graves, M.F., Hosp, J. (2010). Postreading questioning and middle school students’ understanding of literature. Reading Psychology, 31(4), 347-364.
Liang, L.A. & Galda, L. (2009). Responding and comprehending: Reading with delight and understanding. In D. Wooten and B.E. Cullinan (Eds.), Children’s Literature in the Reading Program: An Invitation to Read, 3rd Edition. pp. 99-109. Newark, DE: International Reading Association.
Liang, L.A., *Brendler, B. & Galda, L. (2009). The refugee experience in books for adolescents. Journal of Children’s Literature, 35(2), 59-68.
Graves, M.F & Liang, L.A. (2008). The many facets of reading comprehension instruction. Middle School Journal, 39(4), 36-45.
Galda, L. & Liang, L.A. (2007). Reading aloud with young children. In B. Guzzetti (Ed.), Literacy for the New Millennium: Early Literacy. pp. 129-140. New York: Praeger Press.
Liang, L.A. & Dole, J.A. (2006). Help with teaching reading comprehension: Comprehension instructional frameworks. TheReading Teacher, 59(8), 742-753.
Liang, L.A. & Graves, B.B. (2006). Is it good or is it stupendous?: Vocabulary in transitional chapter books. Book Links, 15(3), pp. 50-53.
Dole, J., Liang, L.A., *Watkins, N.M., & *Wiggins, C.M. (2006). The state of reading professionals in the states. The Reading Teacher, 60(2), 194-199.
Liang, L.A., Peterson, C.A., & Graves, M.F. (2005). Investigating two approaches to fostering children's comprehension of literature. Reading Psychology, 26(4-5), 387-400.
Graves, B. & Liang, L. A. (2004). Transitional chapter books: An update. Book Links, 13(5), 12-16.
Galda, L., & Liang, L. A. (2003). Reading as experience or getting the facts? Stance and literature in classrooms. Reading Research Quarterly, 38(2), 268-275.
Liang, L.A. (2002). On the shelves of the local library: High interest-easy reading trade books. Preventing School Failure, 46(4), 183-188.
- Swan, E. A. (2004). Concept-Oriented Reading Instruction in Secondary Classrooms. In T. L. Jetton, & J. A. Dole, (Eds.), Reading Comprehension Best Practice in Secondary Classrooms. NY: Guilford Publications.
- Swan, E. A. (2003). Concept-Oriented Reading Instruction: Engaging classrooms, lifelong learners. NY: Guilford Publications.
- Guthrie, J. T., & Anderson, E. (1999). Engagement in reading: Processes of motivated, strategic, knowledgeable, social readers. In J. T. Guthrie & D. E. Alvermann (Eds.), Engagement in reading: Processes, practices, and policy implications (pp. 17-45). New York: Teachers College Press.
- Guthrie, J.T., Anderson, E., Alao, S. & Rinehart, J. (1999). Influences of Concept-Oriented Reading Instruction on strategy use and conceptual learning from text.Elementary School Journal, 99(4), 343-366.
- Guthrie, J.T, Cox, K., Anderson, E. Harris, K. Mazzoni, S., & Rach, L. (1998). Principle of integrated instruction for engagement in reading. Educational Psychology Review, 10(2), 177-199.
- Guthrie, J.T., Van Meter, P., Hancock, G.R., Alao, S., Anderson, E., & McCann, A. (1998). Does concept-oriented reading instruction increase strategy use and conceptual learning from text? Journal of Educational Psychology, 90, 261-278.