The mission of the UCRL is to provide outreach to the Utah PreK-12 educational community and to conduct research to generate new knowledge and to solve problems facing schools and classrooms today. Specific purposes of the UCRL include:
- To promote high quality instruction in reading and writing in PreK-12 Utah schools, with special attention to the needs of struggling readers, writers, and English language learners;
- To promote collaboration among universities, districts and the Utah State Office of Education (USOE) for the purpose of providing high quality professional development to teachers;
- To educate parents about best practices in literacy instruction based on the most current research in the fields of reading and writing;
- To promote research on the reading and writing processes to expand the knowledge base in these critical areas of research;
- To conduct research to answer specific questions about high quality reading and writing instruction and to solve literacy problems facing schools and classrooms.